13 January, 2010

Lesson Learned

It was bound to happen. I knew it would, I just didn't expect it to happen so early in the project. I knew I would eventually not have any money on me to contribute to the less fortunate.

The Opera got out at 11:38 last night. Jason and I bounced toward the 1 train humming "Toreador" after seeing a performance of Carmen at The Metropolitan Opera. We reached the downtown entrance to head back to Brooklyn. The dreaded pink tape. Oh well, time to hoof it to Columbus Circle, and that we did. We resolved to get on the first train that came, and it was a D. Jason and I would both have to transfer, but at different stations. By now it was midnight, the trains were running local and it was going to be a long ride.

An old woman with a cane, plastic bag, and dowager's hump came into our car at 34th street. She walked the length of the car with an outstretched hand meekly asking

"change so I can eat?"

This is someone's grandmother. I elbowed Jason next to me.

"What? Oh no. Not happenin'. Seriously Linette, you've gotta stop this."

"Jason, come on! What's in your pocket?"

He reached into the pocket of his suit and handed me $0.61. We were pulling into West 4th street, and I had to nearly chase the woman out of the subway car. I reached and tapped her on the shoulder just as she was stepping out of the open doors. She turned, took my change, and smiled.

"Thank you dear. My, you look pretty."

I had temporarily forgotten that I was wearing a dress and my mouth was covered in red lipstick. Startled back into reality, I thanked her.

"I hope you accomplished whatever you intended to with that $0.61."

Yep

Total contribution: $0.61
Station: D train at West 4th Street

1 comment: