17 January, 2010

Guilty Conscience

It was Brian's birthday and I took him to my favorite place, Jadis, for dinner on the Lower East side. After we finished we were headed to Sugar Cafe for dessert. As we walked down Rivington toward Allen Street a man was standing outside the corner bodega.

"Some change so I can eat please?"

I winced. Brian isn't supportive of this project.

"Fight it Linette. Come on. Be strong."

I couldn't. I stopped, pulled out my wallet and opened the coin purse. As I counted my change I lectured Brian on how I feel this is my obligation. This is something I have to do, and I must remain true to my word and this blog.

He sighed, rolled his eyes, and stood at the corner.

I walked back and handed the change to the man. He bowed his head.

"Thank you miss."

I walked back toward Brian who hadn't completely abandoned me ever though we had the walk signal.

"Hey, god bless you" the man yelled to me as Brian and I began briskly walking since the signal was flashing.

"You too" I called back to him.

We continued on to Sugar Cafe where Brian bought himself a cupcake, and me a macaroon the size of my head.


Total Contribution: $0.61
Rivington and Allen, LES

No comments:

Post a Comment