07 January, 2010

The Beginning

I don't do New Year's resolutions. I never have, and I never will. It always seemed like a useless endeavor to me. Why does it have to be a new year for us to change the way we behave or improve ourselves? Why should do we need to wait for the calendar to change? It doesn't, and we don't. That being said, this project was not a New Year's resolution, but it is certainly a resolution of sorts.

Last night I stopped at Dos Toros to get Burritos before heading to the Upper East to watch a movie. As I entered the Union Square subway station on 4th avenue there was an old man standing in the entrance begging for change for a cup of coffee. It was the middle of rush hour. Dozens of people entered, and no one reached in their pocket. I felt badly. I stepped to the side and took out my wallet. As I was doing so a teenaged hooligan ran down the stairs and began taunting and harassing the old man.

"Hey kid, I'm 60 years old. I'm just tryin' to get a cup of coffee."

"Yeah sure you are you dirty old fuck. Go get a job!"

The kid shoved him and ran for the turnstile. I walked over and gave him a $1 bill.

"Thank you miss."

"You're welcome, and stay warm okay. Have a good night."

Just then the hooligan looked back.

"Hey, that's a whole dollar old man! Don't spend that all in one place!"

I was disgusted. So frequently I see this sort of thing happen. The homeless are treated like they're subhuman. People have more sympathy for a starving animal than a starving person.

Total Contribution: $1
Station: Union Square

No comments:

Post a Comment